It was reported that bacteria called "enterococcus" was found in the drinking water of the municipalities of Mistelbach and Gaenserndorf in the Austrian state of Lower Austria.

In a written statement made by both municipalities, it was noted that during routine measurements of drinking water, it was determined that the values of bacteria called enterococci in the water were very high.

Upon this finding, the municipalities warned that the water should be boiled for 3 minutes before consumption.


While investigating how the bacteria got into the water, it was reported that chlorination works have started to clean the water.

Experts stated that the bacteria in question causes diseases such as blood poisoning and urinary tract infection.