The 54-year-old man, who wanted to kill the insect he saw in his home on the island of Kyushu in Japan, used too much insecticide to kill the pest, causing an explosion.
In this bizarre story of man versus cockroach, the flames were so huge that they blew out the balcony window.
According to Mainichi, police reported that the resident was slightly injured and that they found burn marks near the Japanese heating table kotatsu.
Japan's National Consumer Affairs Center has received several reports of similar explosions linked to spraying pesticides near electrical outlets.
According to the Straits Times, spraying pesticides near electrical outlets can cause damage and pose a risk of injury, as reported by various pest removal companies.
The incident was widely reported on social media, with many users making humor out of the unusual situation.