Uprising against the French government | State of emergency declared Uprising against the French government | State of emergency declared

It was reported that British forces will be deployed in the alliance's peacekeeping mission in Kosovo upon NATO's request.

In a statement made by the British Ministry of Defense, it was stated that following the developments in the north of Kosovo on September 24, it was decided to deploy British forces to NATO's peacekeeping mission in Kosovo.

"Following a request from NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR) General Christopher Cavoli and approval by the alliance, the UK will deploy around 200 troops to join the 400-strong British contingent already in the country as part of an annual exercise in the coming days," the statement said.

Emphasizing that the deployment will provide NATO with strength and expertise as part of the UK's important and unwavering commitment to the alliance, the statement said:

"Working under NATO command and with other allied forces, British forces will be available to conduct operations in line with NATO's Peacekeeping Force in Kosovo (KFOR) mandate to provide a safe and secure environment and freedom of movement for all people in Kosovo."

Admiral Tony Radakin, Chief of the British General Staff, said: "The extension of our support to KFOR underlines our unwavering commitment to NATO and to the security of the Western Balkans region."

Events in northern Kosovo on September 24

Tensions in the north of Kosovo, which had been ongoing for months, escalated again on the morning of September 24 when a policeman was killed when armed Serbs blocking the road in Banjska, a predominantly Serbian town, opened fire.

Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti announced that a heavily armed group of about 30 people, which he described as a "professional terrorist/criminal organization", attacked Kosovo police and blamed Serbia for the incident.

The armed group, which took refuge in and around the Banjska Monastery, was surrounded by Kosovo police and clashes continued throughout the day in the region.

Kosovo Interior Minister Xhelal Swedishla announced that at least 3 attackers were killed in the operation organized in Banjska and 6 people were detained, including 2 attackers and 4 people who supported the attack through radio connections.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic confirmed that the incident that resulted in the death of a Kosovo policeman was carried out by Kosovo Serbs.